Applications are now open only for Malaysian artists for residencies at Rimbun Dahan from April to December 2021. Applications close 31 January 2021.
For artists from any discipline (visual arts, performing arts, writers, etc) and arts managers who are Malaysian citizens and currently based in Malaysia.
The residencies provide an opportunity to live and work at Rimbun Dahan, and can run from 1 to 3 months. We provide workspace and accommodation in a 14-acre indigenous garden setting, 45 minutes’ drive from Kuala Lumpur city centre. This residency is recommended for artists seeking solitude, silence and/or space to focus on their work.
Resident artists are expected to stay and work on site full-time. Occasional open studio sessions at Rimbun Dahan (not more than 1 every three months) enable resident artists to share their work with the general public during their stay.
A note for visual artists: The residency may not involve a dedicated exhibition. Visual artists are expected to leave 1 work that has been made at Rimbun Dahan for our permanent collection.
What is provided
- Accommodation and studios/workspaces, including utilities
- Monthly allowance of RM1000
- Administrative support on-site
- Access to artist lounge (WiFi equipped), library, garden, and swimming pool
- Weekly transport to nearby supermarket, if required
What is NOT provided
- Meals or groceries, although all accommodation includes access to a self-catering, equipped kitchen
- Additional funding for materials or provided art materials
- Funding for travel costs
Who are we looking for?
We prefer applicants who:
- Have already committed at least a few years to their professional arts career, NOT within 3 years of graduation from their initial arts degree or training.
- Have had professional training in their discipline and are undertaking a professional level of practice.
- Are self-motivated and able to live and work independently.
Please see here for other FAQs for Resident Artists.
To see a list of past resident artists from this program, please click here.
Please submit an application containing:
- Bio/CV & portfolio [size limit: 10MB]
- A paragraph explaining what project you intend to work on during your residency at Rimbun Dahan
- Proposed duration of your residency (between 1 and 3 months) and the dates for which you are seeking a residency. Please provide multiple options, if possible.
- One professional reference we can contact who is familiar with your artistic practice: name, position, relationship to you, phone number.
- OPTIONAL: A short statement of how a residency at Rimbun Dahan would specifically benefit your art practice (OTHER than generally needing a quiet spacious place to stay, living in nature/greenery, away from distractions, etc.)
Please send in COMPLETE applications only.
Selection depends on the strength of the applicant’s portfolio and compatibility with the aims and capacity of Rimbun Dahan.
Send applications by email to: