Applications are now open only for Malaysian artists or Southeast Asian artists currently based in Malaysia, due to travel restrictions. Applications for residencies Sept-Dec 2020 close 31 August 2020.
The Southeast Asian Arts Residencies at Rimbun Dahan are for artists and arts managers in any discipline from and based in ASEAN nations only (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam). The residencies are intended to provide an opportunity to live and work in Malaysia, and can run for anywhere from 1 to 3 months. We provide workspace and accommodation in a serene garden setting, far away from the bustle of the city. This residency is recommended for artists seeking solitude, silence and/or space to focus on their work.
A note for visual artists: The residency may not involve a dedicated exhibition. There will be occasional shows/open studios at the Rimbun Dahan Gallery timed to benefit as many residents as possible to show their work during their stay. Visual artists are expected to leave a work that has been made at Rimbun Dahan for the permanent collection.
Artists from other countries are not eligible for this residency, and should refer to Open Residencies for International Artists. Australian artists should refer to the Asialink Residency or Open Residencies.
What is provided
- Accommodation and studios/workspaces are provided for all residents, including utilities
- Monthly allowance of RM1000
- Administrative support on-site
- Access to artist lounge (WiFi equipped), library, exercise equipment, tennis court, and swimming pool
- Weekly transport to nearby supermarket
What is not provided
- Meals or groceries, although all accommodation will include access to a self-catering, equipped kitchen
- Additional funding for materials or provided art materials
- Funding for travel costs; airfares to and from Malaysia and other transport costs are the responsibility of the artist
- Fees for procuring and maintaining travel visas
Please see here for FAQs for Resident Artists.
To see a list of past resident artists from this program, please click here.
Please submit an application containing:
- A selection of images/samples of recent work
- A short statement of why a stay at Rimbun Dahan would benefit your art practice
- Dates for which you are seeking accommodation and the proposed duration of your residency. Please provide multiple options, if possible.
Please send in COMPLETE applications only. You can choose to send either an electronic application OR a hard copy application, please do not send both.
Selection depends on the strength of the applicant’s portfolio and compatibility with the aims and capacity of Rimbun Dahan.
Send electronic applications to:
Send hard copy applications to:
c/ Hijjas Kasturi Associates Sdn.,
23rd floor Menara Promet,
Jalan Sultan Ismail,
50250 Kuala Lumpur
Please indicate if you’d like hard copy application material to be returned after selections are made.