Job Vacancy for P/T Arts Manager at Rimbun Dahan
Rimbun Dahan offers various residencies (fully or partially sponsored or paid) to visual and performing artists, writers, researchers, and curators, with a special focus on those from Malaysia and Southeast Asia. The residencies vary in length depending on the artists’ needs. Rimbun Dahan also hosts short-term workshops, open day events, performances, and student visits, and is available to rent as a venue for events. Our focuses are arts, performance, architecture, and nature, in a Southeast Asian context.
For more information about Rimbun Dahan, see http://rimbundahan.org/.
We are looking for a part time Arts Manager to coordinate the residency, arts, performance and outreach programs at Rimbun Dahan to ensure a lively and active series of residencies and events throughout the year. They will be in charge of handling internal and external communications and finances for all activities in Rimbun Dahan, as well as supervising an Assistant Arts Manager. Applicants must have strong interpersonal, management, and communication skills and the ability to juggle different responsibilities to maintain a vibrant, consistent, and active program and schedule throughout the year. We are looking for highly motivated and proactive applicants with a keen interest and/or familiarity with the local arts scene.
This position is based in Selangor Malaysia. We are looking for Malaysian applicants only.
- Selection of resident artists with the owners’ involvement, and communicating with artists from the application process through to undergoing the residency;
- Scheduling and organizing social and arts events such as exhibitions, open day events, performances, showcases, and talks;
- Hiring, training, and supervising a full-time Assistant Arts Manager, who will provide administrative and logistical support and work with the Arts Manager to ensure the arts, performance, and outreach programs run smoothly;
- Marketing Rimbun Dahan as a venue for events rental;
- Coordinating with the Dance Program Director and assisting where necessary;
- Maintaining communications and relationships with external parties for collaborations, outreach and press;
- Managing and recording finances for all Rimbun Dahan related activities;
- Attending local arts events on behalf of Rimbun Dahan and accompanying RD resident artists to introduce them to galleries and people they may wish to meet;
- Liaising with press and media as a representative of Rimbun Dahan;
- Monitoring the underground gallery of visual arts works, and periodically changing the hang;
- Maintaining the website, newsletter and Facebook page and keeping them up to date.
Qualification and Skill Set
- Tertiary degree in arts or a related field is preferred
- 2 – 3 years work/relevant experience preferred
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Bahasa Malaysia
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills for handling communications
- Highly organized, detail oriented, and able to work with minimal supervision
- Competent with computers and social media
- Must be able and licensed to drive
- Comfortable with dogs, as Rimbun Dahan has guard dogs on-site.
What We Offer
- Salary depends on qualifications and experience, but starts from RM3,000
- An additional car allowance is negotiable
- Flexible work hours. The manager is required to be on site at Rimbun Dahan three days a week and timing is flexible – ideally 10AM to 6PM
- A chance to engage more deeply with and make connections within the Malaysian arts scene
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and CV to (Ms) Bilqis Hijjas at email@example.com. Position starts 1 February 2018.
Download this job vacancy notice as PDF here: Rimbun Dahan PT Arts Manager Job Description