Applications are CLOSED for Rimbun Dahan’s Southeast Asian Arts Residency for 2018. We are currently reviewing the applications and will endeavor to be in touch with all applicants by end-October. Artists who are NOT from Southeast Asia may apply to our Open Residency program which has rolling applications.
Rimbun Dahan is committed to investing in emerging/developing artistic talents in the region and furthering artistic exchange with our neighbours. We invite visual artists (of all disciplines), writers, arts managers, and researchers/curators from Southeast Asian countries to submit applications for residencies in 2019. Residencies can be minimum 1 month and maximum 3 months*. Spots will be limited as we are on a set budget for these residencies. Generally it is difficult to secure more than 30 days for a residency due to immigration restrictions over which we have no control; however for strong applicants we would consider staggering a residency for a longer period. However, the artist is responsible for air fares and immigration compliance. It is best to plan ahead with our confirmation about longer periods.
All applications must be received by Monday, 1 October 2018.
*ASEAN nationals are given 30 days stay in Malaysia per visit – 30 days does not always equal one month, so be mindful of days and dates when booking flights. In our experience, Malaysian immigration prefers that ASEAN nationals have at least a week between their most recent departure date from Malaysia and their next re-entry date.
You can apply for an additional 30 day extension to your visa while in Malaysia before your initial visa ends by visiting an immigration office. Approval of extension is not always guaranteed. Processing can take anywhere from 2 days to a week, and it may require you to change the date of your original return ticket. So if you are planning to extend your stay, do be ready and make arrangements during your residency to go to the immigration office and go through the necessary processes OR to book multiple flights to renew your visa every 30 days during your residency.
- Artists must be nationals of these listed countries only: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam
- Former Rimbun Dahan and Hotel Penaga resident artists are not eligible to apply
Expectations of the residency
- Resident artists must stay and work on-site full time in the accommodation and workspace provided and engage with the other resident artists
- Resident artists should make themselves available (to the best of their ability) for student group visits, general visitors, and other outreach events (artist talks, showcases, etc) organized by Rimbun Dahan throughout the year
- At the end of a residency, a visual work is provided for Rimbun Dahan permanent collection, the selection is made by Rimbun Dahan with guidance from the artist.
What’s provided by the residency
- Accommodation and workspace is provided for all residents, including utilities
- Monthly allowance of RM1000
- Access to washing machine, exercise equipment, swimming pool, and our library and artist lounge (WiFi equipped)
- Weekly grocery shopping trips
- Basic administrative support
Please note that the following is not provided: travel funds, airport pickup and dropoff, meals, or materials.
How to apply
Please submit an application containing:
- A selection of images/samples of recent work (Please provide a curated selection and context for the works where applicable/necessary)
- A statement of why a stay at Rimbun Dahan would benefit your art practice and/or a project proposal for your time in residency
- Dates for which you are seeking accommodation and the proposed duration of your residency. Please provide multiple options, if possible
Please send in COMPLETE applications only. You can choose to send either an electronic application OR a hard copy application, please do not send both. All applications are due by Monday, 1 October 2018.
Send electronic applications to:
Ms Xeem Noor, Arts Manager
Send hard copy applications to:
Ms Xeem Noor, Arts Manager
c/ Hijjas Kasturi Associates Sdn.,
23rd floor Menara Promet,
Jalan Sultan Ismail,
50250 Kuala Lumpur
Please indicate if you’d like hard copy application material to be returned after selections are made.