Rimbun Dahan is now accepting applications for a year-long residency from January to December 2017 for visual artists from Malaysia. We have hosted year-long residencies from 1994 up to the end of 2013, and have seen Malaysian artists use their time with us to further their practice and become illustrious names in the local art scene and beyond. We hope to continue this tradition in 2017, alongside our growing Southeast Asian Art Residency program. Read below for more information.
We’re looking for artists interested in expanding their art practice, exploring new ideas/themes in their work, producing a new body of work, establishing themselves even further in the field of art, or all of the above. We’re looking for engaged and motivated artists who are looking to commit themselves to investing the time and resources provided by this residency into pushing themselves somewhere they couldn’t otherwise go. The year-long residency will culminate in an exhibition* held at Rimbun Dahan’s underground gallery in November 2017.
* This exhibition could be a solo or could feature work by other artists in residency at Rimbun Dahan
Expectations of the residency
- The resident artist must stay and work full time on-site in the accommodation and workspace provided and engage with the other resident artists
- The resident artist must make themselves available for student groups visits, general visitors, and other outreach events (artist talks, showcases, etc) organized by Rimbun Dahan throughout the year
- The resident artist must produce work for the exhibition and work together with Rimbun Dahan’s administrative and groundskeeping staff in putting together the show
What’s provided by the residency
- Monthly living and materials allowance of RM1000
- Private accommodation with access to a kitchen and private bathroom
- A private studio
- Access to washing machine, exercise equipment, communal garden, swimming pool, and our library and artist lounge
- Weekly grocery shopping trips
- Administrative support
- Artists must be from and based in Malaysia
- Artists must be working in a visual medium; writers, curatorial researchers, choreographers, performance artists and artists/creatives not working in a visual medium should look at our other residency opportunities
- It is preferred for artists to have a tertiary education in art from a certified institution and some exhibition experience
- Former Rimbun Dahan resident artists are not eligible to apply
- Applications from former Hotel Penaga resident artists will be reviewed on a case by case basis
If you would like to apply, please send the following:
- A selection of images/samples of recent work
- An artist statement telling us how a year-long residency at Rimbun Dahan will benefit your art practice and why we should consider you as a resident artist
Please send in COMPLETE applications only. All applications are due by Sunday, October 30 2016.
Send electronic applications via email (preferred method) to
Ms Syar S. Alia, Arts Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Send hard copy applications to:
Ms Syar S. Alia, Arts Manager
c/ Hijjas Kasturi Associates Sdn.,
23rd floor Menara Promet,
Jalan Sultan Ismail,
50250 Kuala Lumpur
Hard copy application material will be returned after selections are made.