Applications are CLOSED for Rimbun Dahan’s Yearlong Visual Arts Residency for 2018. We are currently reviewing the applications and will endeavor to be in touch with all applicants by end-October.
Rimbun Dahan has hosted year-long residencies for more than 20 years, and we have seen Malaysian artists use their time with us to further their practice and become illustrious names in the local art scene like our most recent year-long resident artists — Wong Xiang Yi (2018), Zulkifli Lee (2017) and Azliza Ayob (2016).
We’re looking for artists interested in expanding their art practice, exploring new ideas/themes in their work, producing a new body of work, establishing themselves even further in the field of art, or all of the above. We’re looking for engaged and motivated artists who are looking to commit themselves to investing the time and resources provided by this residency into pushing themselves somewhere they couldn’t otherwise go. The year-long residency will culminate in an exhibition held at Rimbun Dahan’s underground gallery in November/December 2019.* Malaysian visual artists who are interested for a short-term residency of three months can apply to our Southeast Asian Arts Residencies program.**
* This exhibition could be a solo or could feature work by other artists in residency at Rimbun Dahan
** This short-term residency will not end with an exhibition but artists are encouraged to participate in Open Studio Days which are open to the public.
All applications are due by Monday, 1 October 2018
- Artists must be Malaysian
- It is preferred that applicants have tertiary education in art from a certified institution and some studio experience
- Former Rimbun Dahan resident artists are not eligible to apply
- Applications from the former Hotel Penaga residency artists will be reviewed on a case by case basis
Expectations of the residency
- The resident artist must stay and work on-site full time in the accommodation and workspace provided and are expected to engage with other resident artists
- The resident artist should be available (to the best of their ability) for student groups visits, general visitors, and other outreach events (artist talks, showcases, etc) organized by Rimbun Dahan throughout the year
- The resident artist must produce work for the exhibition and work together with Rimbun Dahan’s administrative and groundskeeping staff in putting together the show
- The resident artist must leave behind 1-2 works at the end of their residency for the Rimbun Dahan permanent collection, chosen by Rimbun Dahan in consultation with the artist.
What’s provided by the residency
- Private accommodation with access to a kitchen and private bathroom
- A private studio
- Monthly living and materials allowance of RM1000
- Access to washing machine, exercise equipment, and our library and artist lounge (WiFi equipped)
- Weekly grocery shopping trips
- Administrative support
How to apply
Please submit an application containing:
- A selection of images/samples of recent work (Please provide a curated selection and context for the works where applicable/necessary)
- A residency proposal (maximum 1 page) telling us:
- Who you are as an artist
- How a year-long residency at Rimbun Dahan will benefit your art practice
- Why we should consider you an appropriate choice as a resident artist
Please send in COMPLETE applications only. You can choose to send either an electronic application OR a hard copy application, please do not send both. All applications are due by Monday, 1 October 2018
Send electronic applications to:
Ms Xeem Noor, Arts Manager
Send hard copy applications to:
Ms Xeem Noor, Arts Manager
c/ Hijjas Kasturi Associates Sdn.,
23rd floor Menara Promet,
Jalan Sultan Ismail,
50250 Kuala Lumpur
Please indicate if you’d like hard copy application material to be returned after selections are made.